Who we are
Teacher Education Section (TES) reflects the Department's view of teacher education as a continuum from initial teacher education to induction and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
TES promotes the quality of teaching and learning through the provision of quality teacher training programmes, CPD and support for principals and teachers. This is done through the teacher education programmes, education centres and support services for teachers at primary and post-primary level.
The management of this process is supported through steering committees and provision of policy support, as well as liaison with the Teaching Council, the Inspectorate and other sections of the Department on a range of issues.
What we do
- Provision of funding for and management of in-service training for teachers at first and second level
- Support for curricular reform and new programmes, through education centres, colleges and other third-level Institutions and other programme providers
- Support for and provision of funding for education centres
- Agreement on intake levels for the supply of teachers for primary schools, and, in certain disciplines, for post-primary schools
- Provision of in-service programmes for learning support teachers and for personnel working with pupils with special education needs.
Department of Education and Skills, Teacher Education Section,
Phone: (090) 648 4034/ 4033/ 4219/ 4228/ 4217
Teacher Education Section - A Short Guide