Who we are
Special Education Section is responsible for the development of policy for children with special educational needs and the development of comprehensive, efficient and effective services for these children.
The section maintains close links with the National Council for Special Education (NCSE), the remit of which includes direct delivery of services that will facilitate access to education for children with disabilities.
Special Educational Needs Organisers employed by the NCSE are based throughout the country to co-ordinate services at local level. While the NCSE has a research and advisory role, the Department continues to have responsibility for policy.
What we do
Advising on policy initiatives for children with special educational needs, including:
- Learning Support/Resource Teacher service
- Special needs assistant service
- Special school system
- Special equipment grants scheme
- Home tuition scheme
- July education programmes for children with autism or severe/profound general learning disability.
- Irish Sign Language Tuition Scheme
Department of Education, Special Education Section,
Phone: (090) 6483 600