Who we are
A Steering Group to lead on the development of a programme of actions for the modernisation of governance and accountability arrangements for Education Centres and to oversee its implementation.
Terms of Reference of the Steering Group
- Approve a strategic programme of priority actions for the modernisation of governance and accountability arrangements for Education Centres together with identified targets, outcomes, and timeframes and oversee implementation
- Provide direction and governance for the programme of actions and be the escalation point for the resolution of any difficulties
- Provide a forum for the discussion of significant issues which impact on the programme and how these can be best progressed
- Approve a strategy for consultation and communications with stakeholders and oversee implementation
- Provide regular progress reports for the Management Board of the Department and the Minister as required
- Prepare proposals for governance and accountability modernisation for consideration by Management Board together with advice on the resource and policy implications
- Ensure that the programme remains on course to deliver the desired benefits and outcomes
- Provide direction and resolutions to issues escalated to it by the Implementation Group
- Actively and visibly support and facilitate the delivery of approved actions and related projects
- Influence key stakeholders in relation to the programme.
Membership of the Steering Group
- Chairperson: Ruth Carmody, Assistant Secretary General, Department of Education and Skills
- Eddie Ward, Principal Officer, Department of Education and Skills
- Dominic McEvoy, Director of Kildare Education Centre
- Anna Feely Chairperson Management Committee of Carrick on Shannon Education Centre
- Áine Lawlor, Independent member
This Group will report to the Steering Group and support it in the delivery of the programme of actions. Functions are as follows:
- Develop a programme of actions for approval by the Steering Group together with information on resource and/or any policy implications
- Being the clearing house for proposals for consideration by Steering Group
- Ensure that the programme of actions approved by the Steering Group is being implemented & report on same
- Identify matters that require escalation to the Steering Group
- Identify significant matters related to the programme for analysis and discussion.
The role of the Implementation Group may be amended by the Steering Group as the programme develops.
Membership of Implementation Group
- Chairperson: Eddie Ward, Principal Officer DES
- Noel Farrell, Assistant Principal Officer DES
- Laura Leonard, Accountant, DES
- Paul Butler, Director of Mayo Education centre
- Tom Clohessy, Chairperson Clare Education Centre Management Committee
- Louise McNamara, Financial Support Service Unit (FSSU) Independent member.
New members may be added as required by the work underway and as approved by the Steering Group.
Consultative Forum for Directors and Management Committees
The purpose of this forum which would meet twice a year would be to ensure Directors, Management Committees and their staff are informed of the programme of governance modernisation for the Teacher Education Support Centres and to facilitate their input and participation.
Consultative Forum for ESC Staff
The purpose of this forum would be to ensure Centre staff are informed on the programme of governance modernisation for the Teacher Education Support Centres and to facilitate their input and participation.
Teacher Education Section of DES will provide support the overall programme including the work of the Steering and Implementation Groups and other groups that may be established.
The work of both the Steering and the Implementation and other Groups that may be established is to be kept confidential unless otherwise agreed.
Address: Teacher Education Sections, Department of Education and Skills, Cornamaddy, Athlone, County Westmeath, N37 X659
Phone: (090) 648 4218