Remediation Programmes

Moulds are part of the natural environment.  They are fungi which play an important part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees.  Mould may begin growing indoors when spores land on surfaces that are wet.  The individual spores are invisible to the naked eye. However, when they grow en masse they are visible as the black, blue, green etc staining that people associate with mould. 

Some moulds can produce vapors, which are detectable by the human nose at very low concentrations. This is what gives the unpleasant 'musty' odour associated with dampness and mould growth.

Most moulds grow well at warm ambient (150-250C) temperatures, but a few prefer lower or higher temperatures. All moulds require a steady supply of nutrition and moisture to live and grow. Nutrition, in the context of buildings, is provided by flour dust, cooking oil droplets, skin scales, hair, spiders' webs, wall paper, plaster-board, wood etc. Indoors, moisture can result from flooding, leaking pipes, damp etc. Please see:

Guidelines for Principals and Boards of Management on Managing Mould Growth in State Buildings

The Department provided grant aid to school management authorities to assist them with the removal of mould growth in school buildings.

How to Apply

Schools must apply directly to the Department using the Department’s Emergency Works Application Form

Related Links: