The curriculum for Ireland's primary and post-primary schools is determined by the Minister for Education and Skills who is advised by the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA). The curriculum sets out, not only what is to be taught, but how learning in the particular subject area is to be assessed.
The NCCA leads developments in curriculum and assessment and supports the implementation of changes resulting from this work.
The Department supports the development of overall policy relating to assessment, curricula and guidance by:
- Providing syllabuses, guidelines for teachers, circulars to schools and prescribed material for the examinations.
- Providing financial and other supports to bodies such as:
- State Examinations Commission (SEC)
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA)
- National Council for Guidance in Education (NCGE)
- An Chomhairle um Oideachais Gaeltachta agus Gaelscolaíochta (COGG)
- Post Primary Languages Initiative (PPLI)
- The Educational Research Centre (ERC)
- Providing funding for standardised testing.
Curriculum and Syllabus Information
Foreign Languages Strategy