28 October, 2018 - Update on WBS Building Issues
The Department of Education and Skills wishes to provide an update on the programme of structural assessments which have been conducted to date on schools constructed by Western Building Systems.
This follows the updates that were published on Friday 26th and Saturday 27th October.
A total of seven structural assessments were undertaken yesterday, 27 October. The outcome of the assessments is as follows:
- One school, Gaelscoil Thulach na nÓg, Dunboyne can reopen fully after the mid-term break.
- In relation to five of the schools, engineers on site gathered information which was referred back to their headquarters for further assessment, these assessments remain ongoing at this time.
- Structural issues were identified at Castlemills Education Centre, Balbriggan which present a risk to the external leaf only and will require intervention in the form of a fence around the building and some protective decking. This will be put in place during the course of the mid-term break.
Opening up works and further assessments are continuing today. A further update will be provided tomorrow, 29 October.
Note to Editor
As of today, 28th October 2018, 21 structural assessments have been undertaken with the following outcomes:
6 schools where no intervention is required to facilitate the reopening after the mid-term break as follows:
- Luttrellstown Community College
- Gaelscoil Shliabh Rua, Dublin 18
- Broombridge Educate Together National School
- Scoil Choilm, Porterstown
- Gaelscoil Thulach na nÓg, Dunboyne
- Gaelscoil Teach Giúise, Firhouse
2 schools where an intervention is required in the form of a fence around the building and some protective decking to facilitate their reopening after the mid-term break
- Scoil Chaitlín Maude, Tallaght
- Castlemills Education Centre, Balbriggan
3 schools where an internal and external intervention is required to facilitate the reopening of the ground floor area after the mid-term break
- Tyrrelstown Educate Together National School
- St Luke’s National School, Tyrellstown
- Gaelscoil Eiscir Riada, Lucan
The structural assessment and analysis of same remains ongoing in respect of 9 schools.
Arrangements have been put in place by Dublin/Dun Laoghaire ETB to accommodate students of Ardgillan Community College affected by the closure of phase one of the school building.