English Language Assistant Germany
From the Bavarian Alps to the lively cities of Hamburg, Frankfurt, Dresden, Berlin, and eastern Germany which host some of the most attractive areas of Europe, there is plenty to experience in Germany.
Terms and conditions
Modern language undergraduates after their second year of study are eligible to apply. They must have a good command of German. (Minimun of B1 on CEFR). Candidates must hold a current Irish passport.
Appointments are in secondary and comprehensive schools. A few appointments may also be in primary schools.
- Dates of appointment: End of August / beginning of September – 31 May (depending on the region the Assistants are placed in, the start could be as early as August 24th or as late as September 14th.
- Hours: 12 per week
- Salary: €850 per month (nett)
- Age limits: the German authorities are only able to consider candidates not older than 29 years.
You should be aware of the following before making your application
- Homeland address is the address where you can be reached during holiday periods, fill in the dates that this applies
- Term address is the address where you can be reached during college terms
- Family Status - single / married / divorced
- Generally you must be flexible and ready to accept the offered appointment. Placements in university towns are in very high demand. It is best to indicate three regions of the 16 regions as your preferred options.
- If you have a strong desire to be placed in a certain area please complete (in German) your reasons e.g. accommodation, studies etc.
- Please sign your name on the back of each passport photo before affixing to the form
- You must attach to your application form a) detailed C.V. b) detailed explanation of the reason you wish to be considered for the post, these should be completed in German and in English
- The confidential attestation forms are to be completed by your German tutors and returned directly to the International Section, Department of Education and Skills, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1. D01 RC96
- Completed application forms should be submitted to the International Section, Department of Education and Skills, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1. D01 RC96 before the closing date for receipt of completed applications which is: Monday 09 March 2020.
We recommend you research possible destinations in Germany before submitting your application for consideration.
Federal Republic of Germany
|BW = Baden-Württemberg||HB = Bremen||NI = Niedersachsen||SN = Sachsen|
|BY = Bayern||HH = Hamburg||NW = Nordrhein-Westfalen||ST = Sachsen-Anhalt|
|BE = Berlin||HE = Hessen||RP = Rheinland-Pfalz||SH = Schleswig-Holstein|
|BB = Brandenburg||MV = Mecklenburg-Vorpommern||SL = Saarland||TH = Thüringen|
We would like to remind you to carefully consider your commitment to the ELA Scheme before accepting a post, as all withdrawals will need to be duly justified.