About this Website
Welcome to the Department of Education and Skills website. This site was developed and launched in July 2012 and is designed to provide ready access to information, while meeting accessibility and language requirements. The site was developed following a detailed consultation process with customers, Department staff and education partners.
Using this Website
Content on this site is organised to provide quick and easy access to information by navigation and/or search.
We have identified the following key groups as biggest users of our services:
- Parents and Guardians
- Education Staff which includes teachers, special needs assistants and non-teaching school staff
- Schools and Colleges which includes primary and post-primary schools, Vocational Education Committees (VECs), further education and training providers and third level institutions
- Learners which includes students, trainees, adult learners and research students.
The home page of the website provides a persona landing page for each of these key groups with easy navigation to the content most relevant to them. The persona landing pages are reached by clicking on the appropriate persona tabs which are presented on all pages on the website.
The persona landing page presents the user with a list of the most frequently used and/or topical services and information relevant to that persona group. A full list of services and information is presented on clicking the full list button. A Service is something which the Department offers from which consumers derive enduring benefit and an application process must be followed in order to avail of it. Information concerning the education system is something which the Department offers to any party who seeks it. In addition, topical items relevant to each persona group will be highlighted on the persona landing pages.
The home page of the website provides access to information about:
Using the Site Search
A search facility, including advanced search, is available on the top banner of all pages. Users may enter a word or phrase in the search box and click go.
The Advanced Search facility is located on the top right hand side of the webpage. Use it to find a circular, inspection report, press release, speech or other document. Select the content type and enter 'all the words', 'the exact phrase' or 'starting with the words' and press the SELECT button. A list of relevant documents will be presented.
Find a Circular
There are 3 different ways to find a circular:
1. Go to the Service or Information pages under the relevant persona tab i.e. Parents, Education Staff, Schools & Colleges or Learners to find the circular(s) relevant to that service or information item.
2. Use our Circulars page to see lists of circulars as follows:
3. Use the Advanced Search facility, located on the top right hand side of the website. Click the Circulars button to refine your search and enter the circular number in the "with all of thewords" field as follows:
- for circulars published since 2006 enter the circular number followed by / and the full year e.g. 96/2007
- for circulars published prior to 2006 enter the circular number followed by / and the last two digits of the year e.g. 02/98.
If the circular you require is not published on our website, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find a School
A function is provided to Find a school and this is presented on the top banner of all pages. To find a school:
1. Select the School Level from the drop down menu
2. Select the Geographical Area from the drop down menu
3. You may wish to refine your search by selecting Ethos, Language of Instruction and/or Gender.
You will be presented with a map identifying the schools meeting your selection.
Select an individual school to access detailed information about that school including links to reports on school inspections.
You can view a list of all schools in your search area by clicking on View School List. The school names on this list are hyperlinks to the individual school data.
Find School Inspection Reports
Inspection reports on individual schools can be found through the Find a School function on the website. Firstly find a school as shown above, click on the school name and you will be given all the details on that school including all the inspection reports published for that school. Click on any individual report to download.
Alternatively you can use Advanced Search to find School Inspection Reports:
1. In the field “with all of the words” key in the roll number or the school name and click the Inspection Report button
2. Click search and all the reports for that school will be shown
3. Click on any individual report to download.
Inspection Reports listings
Whole School Evaluations (WSE), subject, programme inspections etc. are all listed in date order, most recent ones first, on the website, at link: http://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/
Irish inspections at link: http://www.education.ie/ga/Foilseacháin/Tuairiscí-Cigireachta-Foilseacháin/Tuairiscí-Cigireachta.html
RSS Syndication / Alerts
To help you to keep up to date with new content on our website, we offer free Irish news rss/xml feeds for you to add to your reader or website.
Contact Us provides contact information including postal addresses, email and telephone contacts for our business units.
A-Z of Services provides a link to information about our services.
Glossary of Terms provides a description of terms and acronyms used on the website.
The Site Map provides information on the top three levels of this website.
The Department of Education and Skills Privacy and Legal Disclaimer notices.
Accessibility Statement provides details of the accessibility features and accessibility keys implemented in this site.
Feedback - We welcome comments, questions and suggestions about our website.