- Circular 0016/2015 - Prescribed Material for the Junior Certificate Examination in 2017 and Leaving Certificate Examination in 2017
- Circular 0007/2015 - Prescribed Material for the Leaving Certificate English Examination in 2017
- Letter to Principals - Regarding the transfer of student reports to the post-primary schools
- Circular 0061/2014 - Discontinuance of Typewriting examination after 2016
- Circular 0032/2014 - Prescribed material for the Junior Cycle Student Award in English (For students commencing Junior Cycle in September 2014, September 2015 and September 2016 only)
- Circular 0024/2014 - Prescribed Material for the Junior Certificate Examination in 2016 and Leaving Certificate Examination in 2016 published March 2014
- Circular 0021/2014 - Prescribed Material for English in the Leaving Certificate Examination in 2016 published March 2014
- Circular 0020/2014 - Revised Arrangements for the Implementation of the Junior Cycle Student Award Academic year 2014/15
New Junior Certificate English Specification for students starting Junior Cycle in 2014 - View online at www.curriculumonline.ie or PDF version
The curriculum for Ireland's primary and post-primary schools is determined by the Minister for Education and Skills who is advised by the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA). The curriculum sets out, not only what is to be taught, but how learning in the particular subject area is to be assessed.
The NCCA leads developments in curriculum and assessment and supports the implementation of changes resulting from this work.
The Department supports the development of overall policy relating to assessment, curricula and guidance by:
- Providing syllabuses, guidelines for teachers, circulars to schools and prescribed material for the examinations.
- Providing financial and other supports to bodies such as:
- State Examinations Commission (SEC)
- National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA)
- National Council for Guidance in Education (NCGE)
- An Chomhairle um Oideachais Gaeltachta agus Gaelscolaíochta (COGG)
- Post Primary Languages Initiative (PPLI)
- Foreign Languages Strategy
- Providing funding for standardised testing.
Curriculum and Syllabus Information: