English Language Assistant Scheme Applications
English Language Assistant Scheme
The English Language Assistant (ELA) Scheme operates between Ireland and 5 other European countries:-
- Austria, Germany, Italy and Spain - Applications closed 03 March 2014
- France - Applications will close on 19 March 2014
The role of the ELA is to help the pupils to see the foreign language as a living language of millions of people rather than as a ‘school’ language. The basic duties of the assistant are:-
- To assist the regular staff of the school either in Austria, Germany, France, Italy or Spain
- To conduct conversation classes in English
- To supplement such classes by exercises in reading, dictation and oral composition
- To give pupils an insight into the way of life in Ireland
The five countries referred to above also select applicants from their own country who want to serve in Irish schools on the same basis as Irish Assistants serve in these countries.
Conditions of the Post of English Language Assistant
The assistant is normally employed for 12 hours per week for one academic year. Outside the stated 12 hours of work the assistant is left free, subject of course to the usual discipline of the school. There is ample opportunity for personal studies. It may sometimes be possible for the timetable to be adjusted so as to allow long weekends or days free for travel or attendance at university or other courses.
Candidates that apply for more than one country should list their preference in order of priority.